Frequently Asked Questions

We've provided the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions we receive below.

Academic Policies and C3 Good Standing Requirements

What GPA do I need?

To be eligible for guaranteed admission to NC State, you need a cumulative GPA of a 3.0+ while you are at one of our partner community colleges. Some majors are more competitive and may require a higher GPA for admission.

How long do I have to complete my associate degree?

You can take up to 3 years to complete your associate degree. We understand that many community college students take longer than two years to complete their degree due to family and work obligations.

What happens if I fall below a 3.0 GPA?

If your GPA falls below a 3.0 in a given semester, we want to work with you and help provide tools and resources that may help you get back on track.


Will I have an NC State advisor while I’m still attending my community college?

Yes, C3 students will be assigned an NC State advisor while they are completing their associate degree at one of our participating community colleges. Advisors will be assigned during the student’s first term in C3. However, while NC State advisors are here to support you during your time in C3, your primary advisor will be your community college advisor while you are attending a community college.

Will I have to travel to NC State for advising?

No, your NC State advisor will make regular visits to your community college campus. We began offering virtual advising via Zoom during the pandemic, and it’s worked well for many students. We plan to keep it as an option for anyone who needs that.

What if I can’t make it on the day NC State advisors will be on my community college campus?

Don’t worry! Just let us know you won’t be able to attend; and we can try to work out an alternative advising format for you. We understand schedules, families and obligations don’t always line up with when we plan to be on your campus.

What advising tools will I have access to?

C3 students will have access to their NC State degree audit and Pack Planner. The degree audit is a checklist of all the courses required for a degree in a specific major. As we receive your community college course work each semester, we will update your degree audit to reflect your progress. You will be able to see how your community college courses fulfill bachelor’s degree requirements at NC State. Students will also have access to the Pack Planner. The planner is a tool where students can check equivalencies and plan when they anticipate taking each course over a four year period.


How do I apply for C3?

Students interested in applying for C3 will submit a C3 application. You do not have to submit a standard freshman or transfer application.

When can I apply for C3?

The C3 application opens in the fall, typically in November, and is open until June 1st.

When will I find out if I was accepted?

Admission is on a rolling basis and students will be notified within 4 weeks after they complete their application.

What is RDS?

RDS is the Residency Determination Service. To apply for C3 you must be classified as an in-state resident for tuition purposes. RDS is required by all UNC and NC Community College system schools. If you do not agree with your RDS classification, you will need to contact RDS directly by email or phone. The RDS contact information can be found at:

Which community colleges can I attend as part of C3?

NC State is currently partnered with thirteen community colleges: Alamance, Brunswick, Central Carolina, Durham Technical, James Sprunt, Johnston, Nash, Richmond, Robeson, Sampson, Vance-Granville, Wake Technical, and Wilson.

I am a high school student senior – can I apply for C3?

Yes, high school seniors are eligible to apply for C3.

I am a high school senior with CCP coursework – am I eligible to apply for C3?

Yes, High school seniors with CCP work are eligible to apply for C3. Just make sure you have at least 24-credit hours remaining to complete your associate degree after admission into the C3 program.

I am a community college student – can I apply for C3?

Yes, students already enrolled at one of our partner community colleges are eligible to apply for C3 as long as you have at least 24-credit hours remaining to complete your associate degree after your admission into C3.

I’m interested in transferring to the College of Design. Can I apply for C3?

We do not recommend that students who are considering a studio-based major within the College of Design apply for C3. Due to the portfolio review requirements for these majors, we cannot guarantee admission to the College of Design after the completion of your associate degree. However, students who are interested in the Design Studies major may apply for C3.

I’m interested in majoring in Biomedical Engineering at NC State. Can I apply for C3?

Yes, but students who are interested in majoring in Biomedical Engineering at NC State will be required to submit additional application information and go through an additional review process prior to their consideration for that program. Admission into this joint degree program with UNC Chapel Hill is very competitive and space is limited.

Do I need to complete my degree at my community college before transferring to NC State?

Yes, C3 students are required to graduate with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or an Associate of Engineering with a GPA of 3.0 or greater to be guaranteed admission into NC State under the C3 program.

Are SAT or ACT scores required for the C3 application?

No, test scores are not required for the C3 application. They are optional. If you think it will enhance your application, please submit them. You may submit self-reported test scores.

What does low-to-moderate income mean?

The NC State C3 program seeks to enroll students from families with low-to-moderate income levels.  Students whose annual family income is $85,000 or less are encouraged to apply for C3. C3 also takes into consideration any extenuating circumstances such as medical expenses, the number of children in college, and other factors.  We also look at military, first-generation, and rural status along with your academic profile. Income is only ONE aspect of your C3 application.

Do I need to provide an official transcript in my C3 application?

No, for application purposes you may upload an unofficial transcript. However, students who wish to submit a transcript through CFNC or the National Student Clearinghouse should request official transcripts.

When do I need to send an official transcript to NC State?

After your initial application to the C3 program, C3 students are only required to send one official transcript to NC State after their community college degree has been posted to their transcript. Please only send the transcript if the degree has been posted. There will be a delay between when your final grades are submitted and when your degree is posted. If we receive a transcript that has your final grades but not the degree, you will be notified and required to send a new transcript.

Where do I send my official transcript?

Paper transcripts can be mailed to:

Community College Collaboration
1000C Harris Hall
Campus Box 7313
Raleigh, NC 27695-7313

Is there an application fee for C3?

There is no application fee for our C3 application. We want our application to be financially accessible for all interested students.

Financial Aid

As a C3 student, when do I need to complete the FAFSA for NC State?

While you are enrolled at the community college, you will need to follow the guidelines established by your community college. You do not need to submit FAFSA data for NC State. When you are ready to transfer to NC State as a degree student, you will need to complete the FAFSA and send a report to NC State as soon as possible for the year you wish to transfer to NC State. The earlier you submit the FAFSA the better!

For additional Financial Aid questions and answers please visit:

As a C3 student, can I apply to be a Goodnight Scholar?

Yes, C3 students are permitted to apply to the Goodnight Scholars Program. For application and requirement information, visit:


As a C3 student, what additional programs or activities will be offered to me?

C3 students will have the opportunity to participate in social events and academic programming on NC State’s campus. Many of the community college partners will also host C3 events on their campuses.

What type of social events will be offered?

C3 social events are always changing based on student feedback. Events we have done in the past include campus tours, cook outs, and athletic events.

What type of academic programming will be offered?

C3 offers a wide variety of academic programming ranging from information sessions about financial aid, major selection and career development workshops.

Am I required to come to NC State’s campus?

C3 students are encouraged to attend social and academic programs offered on NC State’s campus. We strongly believe that participation in these events will enhance a student’s experience in the C3 program, better connect them to NC State campus resources and provide for a more positive transition to NC State. However, we understand you may not be available to attend these events due to other personal, family or work commitments; therefore, students are not required to participate in these events.

As a C3 student will I attend an orientation?

Yes, when C3 students complete their associate degree and are ready to transfer to their NC State degree program, they will attend a transfer orientation.


I’m having trouble logging into MyPack Portal, who can help?

If you are having issues logging into MyPack Portal, have your NC State Unity ID (typically a combination of your name) ready and contact the Help Desk. You can contact the OIT help desk by calling (919) 515-4357.

My degree audit is not showing my updated courses. How can I get this updated?

We receive updated course information twice a semester from our community college partners – once at the beginning of the term and once after grades have been reported at the end of the term. We will update your degree audit within two weeks after receiving your data. If your degree audit is incorrect, please let us know by emailing

The Pack Planner is making me plan courses that I will meet with the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA). How can this be corrected?

The Pack Planner is a great tool, but it assumes you are a freshman and does not take into account that you will have met your general education requirements through the CAA. When planning your courses, we recommend using the Baccalaureate Degree Plans (BDP) for your desired major. The BDP does take into account articulation agreements, departmental and recommended courses.