Applying to C3

Check back in November to apply for Fall 2021.

How to Apply

Make sure to submit your C3 application and all required materials by the deadline. C3 applicants do NOT have to submit a regular freshman or transfer application for admission. You only have to submit the C3 application. If you have international high school or college work, you will be required to submit a few additional materials.

  1. Review our deadlines. Stay up to date with when to apply. The application for Fall 2020 will be available November 1, 2019. The application, along with all supporting materials, will be due by June 1, 2020.
  2. Complete the Residency Determination Service (RDS) Form. The C3 program is available only to students who qualify as North Carolina residents for tuition purposes. Click to complete your RDS Form and obtain your Residency Certification Number (RCN). You will need your RCN on your C3 application.
  3. Complete the C3 application. The application is fully online. Each section of the application will automatically save as you complete it, so you do not have to complete the application all at one time. All portions of the application must be completed before you can submit the application. There is no application fee for the C3 program.
  4. Submit your transcript(s). You will need to submit an official transcript from your high school and each college or university you have attended. Your high school transcript is required only if you are under the age of 21 or have less than 30 transferable college credit hours when you submit your application. Transcripts may be uploaded directly to your application, sent electronically from your high school or college, or mailed to the C3 Office. If you have international high school or college coursework, click for more information on the additional documents you must provide.
  5. Apply to one of our partner community colleges. To be eligible for the C3 program, applicants must apply and be admitted to or be currently enrolled in an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Associate of Engineering program at one of our ten partner community colleges.
  6. Check your status. You may check the status of your C3 application online. You can see what documents we have received or what information may still be missing. We will also notify you of your final C3 decision through this account.

Dates and Deadlines

The C3 application deadline for Fall 2020 is June 1, 2020. All application materials must be received by this date in order for the application to be considered complete and to ensure that it will be reviewed for a decision. Decisions will be released on a rolling basis starting in December with all final decisions being released by July 1, 2020. Decisions will be released through your C3 application account. Students who are admitted into the C3 program will have until May 1, 2020, to notify us if they will accept their C3 offer. Students admitted between May1 and July 1 will have until July 15, 2020, to notify us if they will accept their C3 offer.

Students who are admitted into the C3 program for Fall 2020 will begin their enrollment in the C3 program during the fall term, and they will either begin or continue their community college enrollment at the same time. It is anticipated that students who start the C3 program in Fall 2020 will transfer to NC State in the Fall of 2022 or later, depending upon completion of their A.A., A.S., or A.E. degree.

Application Available November 1, 2019
Application Deadline June 1, 2020
Decision Notification Rolling release starting in December
All decisions by July 1, 2020
Enrollment Confirmation Deadline May 1, 2020
July 15, 2020 (if admitted between May 1 – July 1)

What We Look For

Admission into the C3 program is competitive. We accept 15 students per community college each year. While academic factors such as your past high school or college work provide a strong indicator of your future academic success and are very important in our review process, we consider your whole story. We also want to hear how your background and life experiences have shaped you into the person you are today and influenced your desire to obtain a degree from NC State.

For high school seniors with no college coursework

We are looking for strong grades and challenging courses throughout your years of high school.  We are also looking for students who finish strong in their final two years of high school.

For high school seniors with college coursework (CCP or other dual-enrollment courses)

In addition to considering your performance in your high school courses, we will also evaluate your performance in the college courses you have already completed.

For current community college students

Community college students should be enrolled in an Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.), or Associate of Engineering (A.E.) degree program at one of our partner community colleges.  You should have completed less than 30 transferable college semester hours when applying to C3, and you must have at least 24 semester hours remaining in your A.A., A.S., or A.E. program. You must be eligible to return to each institution you previously attended.  If you have attempted coursework at NC State, you must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher on your NC State work.

SAT/ACT Scores

While test scores are NOT required for admission into the C3 program, we will consider scores if you provide them.  Test scores will not negatively impact a student’s application, but strong scores could help to make an applicant more competitive.

Your background and opportunities

We consider first-generation status, family socio-economic background, and rural area background. We consider obstacles that applicants may have overcome to get to where they are today. We also recognize that not everyone’s path to a 4-year degree began right out of high school, so we consider other life experiences such as serving in the military, starting your own business and balancing work and family responsibilities while going to school.

Your individual story

We want to hear from you about distinctive experiences, skills, challenges, or successes you may have had.  If you have a unique circumstance that may have affected your past academic performance or helped to define your future educational goals, we encourage you to share your story.

Additional criteria may be used to address critical needs in STEM and STEM education fields and encourage diversity per the University strategic plan.

Information for Students with International Coursework

If you have high school or college coursework from outside the United States, you will  be required to submit a few additional materials.

If you have a high school coursework outside the U.S., you must submit an official copy of your high school transcript. Records not issued in English must be accompanied by the English translation that is certified by an appropriate school official, official translator, or U.S. embassy or consulate official.

Applicants who have completed any university coursework outside of the U.S. will need to submit a course-by-course evaluation, along with an official transcript, completed by one of the following NACES-accredited foreign credential evaluation services:

To be considered official, documents must be sent directly to NC State from the issuing institution or they must be certified as true copies by an official of the educational institution, an embassy official, or an appropriate government official.